Natural Ways to Wear Your Beautiful Face without Makeup
Make-up application videos are all the rage these days. I have to admit I’ve watched a handful of them and they are pretty amazing. We can completely transform our look with a little bit of color and shading and I am fascinated with the makeup artists out there that know how to command a makeup brush. Well, I’m no makeup expert, but I do know a thing or two about how your diet and lifestyle can keep you looking fresh, young and glowing. Here are some ways to achieve 5 results you want without needing to be a makeup genius.
- Beautiful Glow: You won’t need foundation if you are consuming plenty of beta-carotene to give you a beautiful natural glow. This nutrient is plentiful in leafy greens and orange, red and yellow vegetables. Some examples of foods that are high in beta-carotene include sweet potatoes, carrots and leafy greens such as spinach. In addition, the antioxidants from whole plant foods can decrease inflammation to your skin which can reduce the appearance of blemishes or redness. Eating cruciferous veggies such as kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage or Bok Choy daily also decreases your risk of breast cancer. So it’s a win-win!
- Blushing Cheeks: The easiest way to get a natural pink flush to your cheeks is to get moving! Exercise naturally increases blood flow all over your body, including the skin on your face. And more blood flow leads to improved health of your skin. This blood flow delivers oxygen and nutrients and removes waste products. Aim for at least 60 minutes of exercise per day and try to exert yourself enough to break a sweat. Exercise shouldn’t be a chore. Exercise to feel good and lift your mood and get the bonus side effect of beautiful skin.
- Youthful Skin: Our faces are constantly exposed to oxidative stress in the environment including sunlight, the air and our food. This oxidative stress causes the damage that leads to signs of aging. Is it possible to slow the aging process? Yes! Consuming more antioxidants reduces the burden of oxidative stress. Studies have shown that eating more fruits and vegetables is actually associated with having less wrinkles! But don’t forget that our skin isn’t the only organ benefitting from eating more fruits and veggies. Our entire body benefits from the healing power of antioxidants, including the inside of our blood vessels. The foods that have the highest concentration of antioxidants include herbs and spices followed by leafy greens and berries. However, beans also are very high in antioxidants and are high in fiber so don’t neglect the power of legumes! Finally, protect your skin from the sun by wearing protective clothing, a large brimmed hat and sunblock when you are in the sun for prolonged periods of time.
- Bright Eyes: The very best way to avoid tired, swollen eyes is to get plenty of sleep (7-8 hours for most adults). Sleep is not only helpful for your skin, but it also benefits your energy level, your mood and your brain. However, there are other culprits that can lead to bags under your eyes. Avoid excess sodium in your diet because it can lead to water retention. In addition, avoid alcohol because it can be dehydrating. Also, drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Luscious Lips: Our lips are exquisitely sensitive with millions of nerve endings. We use them to talk and to touch. But they are also very vulnerable to dehydration. To keep your pucker looking kissably soft it is important to stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water (around 8 glasses per day if you are of average activity level), but also remember that fruits and vegetables are high in water content and will contribute to your hydration. If you live in a drier climate, you may need higher water intake. Besides giving you beautiful lips, being hydrated can lift your mood, cognitive performance and give you more energy. If your lips are dry and you are feeling low, it may be a sign that your body needs more water!
There is definitely a time and place for make-up, but you shouldn’t have to feel that you can’t leave home without it. Be free and be confident! Get plenty of sleep, exercise daily and eat a diet rich in whole plant foods and you will have beautiful, glowing skin that you can be proud of. Now go eat your veggies and have a plantastic day!
If you enjoyed this blog post please share it and comment below! I want to know: what habits help keep your skin healthy and beautiful?